Welcome to Veganuary, everyone!
I’m Polish so I can’t think of a better way to start 2020 than cooking something traditional. Placki, which are (sort of) Polish potato pancakes seem to be the perfect choice: easy to make and super duper tasty. I made them vegan style for the first time today and I can assure you: they taste DELICIOUS!
8 medium sized potatoes (circa 1 potato gives you 1 medium sized placek)
2 red onions
2 spoons of egg replacer
1 spoon of semolina
half cup of oats
half cup of any vegan milk
some chopped chive
salt and pepper to taste
Neutral flavour coconut oil (for frying)
- Grate potatoes and drain the excess water. They should be moist but not too watery.
- Add everything else and mix it well. Add some of your favourite herbs if you like!
- Heat the oil and put a peach size amount of the mixture onto the pan.
- Press it down to make it flat.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown